Sunday, July 12, 2009

The Sisyphus Mindset


Eight years ago my wife and I worked on the island "guild" project here at the LSC. This involved days of heavy weeding, then planting mint, garlic, lavender, etc. I was a little surprised to see how wild and neglected this part of the LSC has become since that time. It's a project waiting to be redone, but I find a lack of motivation to do the same project over again (perhaps this could be called the Sisyphus Mindset). I'm reminded of a story I heard in Madagascar a few years ago. I was visiting a large nature preserve there and the place had a wonderful little nature museum set up in the building that led to the the entrance of the preserve. A Peace Corps trainer I was with told me that there was a woman who travelled around to various countries setting up these fine museum displays. Supposedly she stopped returning to visit them because she was often disappointed to see how shabby they'd become due to a lack of proper care and maintenance.

No comments:

Post a Comment