Thursday, July 2, 2009

Arabian Nights


The deal here at the LSC is I'm to work in the mornings out on the grounds. This leaves me quite a bit of time to myself after lunch. During the afternoons I like to make a pot of sencha or mecha tea (ie get the mind lubricated with caffeine) and settle in for a couple hours of Arabic studies. I live in Abu Dhabi during the winter but that Gulf city is 95% foreigners so the common language is English, not Arabic. But when I can scrape the money together I go off to nearby countries like Oman and Yemen where I can get a lot of practice speaking Arabic. In October, after I leave the US, I plan to visit Alexandria, Egypt. Every part of the Arab world I've traveled to has used a different dialect of Arabic, so it makes it a difficult language to study.

No comments:

Post a Comment